Quiz: How Self-Managed Is Your Team?
Here's something that might interest many readers: a self-assessment to explore how self-managed your team actually is. As more and more companies experiment with self-management, it's good to understand whether you're exploring true self-management, or just a half-baked version of it.
Recently, one of our alumni, Damien Braeckman, shared an interesting test on the Corporate Rebels Academy platform. For those of you not familiar with the platform, it's essentially a gated community that's exclusively available to students and alumni of the Academy and also a few selected workplace pioneers. If you want to be a part of it, simply join one of our courses and you'll automatically gain access to this unique and edifying community.
So, Damien shared a self-test he created to understand how teams are doing in terms of being self-managed: a collection of 20 statements that help provide insight into the key aspects of self-management.
Here are a few examples of statements included in the test:
- Our team has a clear purpose and it is known to all team members
- We have clear working agreements and we respect them
- We have a clear division of tasks and a division of roles
- Each member of our team has chosen a coach or a mentor for personal development
- We have set team goals and we work together to achieve them
- We make joint decisions easily and have a method for doing so
- We organize our own holidays and back-ups without outside help
Rate, discuss, experiment
Here's how it works: you simply rate the statements on a scale from 1 to 5 (1 means strongly disagree, 5 means strongly agree) to figure out how you and your team members feel about these topics.
And the next step? Figure out which topics you want to improve upon and set up an experiment to upgrade how you work.
Yes, it's that simple.
Testing, testing, testing
Want to access the test? Of course you do. Click here to access an excel file with the complete list of statements.