Purpose & values
Progressive organizations no longer focus solely on increasing shareholder value. They focus on building a workplace around common purpose and values. Because having purpose and meaning gives people the energy, passion and motivation to get out of bed in the morning.
It also fosters communities of like-minded employees, customers, suppliers and others. They come together with shared ideals. As a result, inspiring work cuts through bureaucracies, silos, and egos to unleash the potential of an organization.
To be clear: we are not talking about a mission statement full of pretentious banalities (or what Americans call corporate bullshit). We are talking about crisp and clear causes that activate people inside and outside the organization. This purpose should be translated into organization, team and individual goals - to ensure everyone is aligned.
Along with clarity of mission come values, behaviours and skills that are shared by colleagues. Values are multifunctional within a business. They are not prescribed rules, but guidelines to speed decision-making, and not hiring based on skills (only), but also hiring for culture. Skills can be trained.
- Have a bold purpose people can rally around
- Translate purpose to everyone in the company
- Hire for culture: train for skills
- Managing Work Over Managing People
- Put your money where you mouth is
- The Great Resignation. Quiet Quitting. What The F***?
- How Great Employers Respond To Soaring Inflation
- How To Run A Successful Business And Still Go To Heaven
- Why You Should Never Be A $10,000 Parrot
- Pay Your CEO Less. It's Better For Business
- This Thought Experiment Should Be Mandatory For Every Business Leader
- Hacking Reward Structures For True Sustainability And Climate Protection
- Stop Focusing On Profits Right Now! Instead, Build A Community On Purpose And Values
- Why Didn't Apple's Employee Retention Work?
- Is There A Need For New Pay? If So, For Whom?
- Companies need to stop chasing profit like it’s crack cocaine
- Purpose In Business: Meaningful Action Or Empty Words?
- Why ANY Business Should Prioritize Purpose Over Profit
- Stop This Madness: It's Time To End Ridiculous CEO pay!
- How To Rapidly Scale A Mission-Driven Company Without Selling Out
- The Faces Behind Your Fashion Choices
- The Age Of Community Capitalism
- Turning Fuzzy Core Values Into A Practical Tool For Busting Bureaucracy
- Spotify: Cherishing a Start-Up Culture During Exponential Growth
- How To Replace Rules and Protocols By A Set of Clear Values
- Redoing The Role Of Business In Society